Surfrider's Otter Rock and Roll 2013
On a fog-draped Saturday morning, groms from all over the Pacific Northwest took to the waves at Devil's Punchbowl State Park to compete in the Surfrider Foundation's 5th annual Otter Rock and Roll competition. The competition was held by their Newport branch in honor of international Go Surfing Day. 67 competitors and over 200 spectators made it to the beach for this fun-filled event including a beach clean-up with prizes for best trash art, the biggest piece of trash and numerous other fun categories.
The sun did make an appearance making for a wonderful day of surf, sand, and smiles. The competitors put forth a great effort and most importantly it seemed a good time was had by all. The heat winners are as follows:
Contest Results: (1st, 2nd, 3rd respectively)
- Child w/ parent: Brody Winger, Trevor Tice, Marley Snavely
- 12/under Girls: Savanaah Russo, Isabella Laurino, Sarina Watson-Lacey
- 12/under Boys: Jon Wright, Jonah Jarman, Kainoa Thumbell
- 13-15 Girls: Emily Thome, Greta Bishop, Maria Barten
- 13-15 Boys: Theo Hollen, Jesse Henton, Payton Timm
- 16-18 Girls: Kelsea DeFilippis, Autumn Bell, Bryonie Emery
- 16-18 Boys: Deklyn Wood, Laird Tuel, Travis Cockcroft
- Best Beginner: Riley Coler, Hanah George, Kiger Johnson,
Congratulations to all the contenders and thank you to Newport Surfrider for putting on such a wonderful event! We look forward to joining you again next year!