We’ve gone through the numbers and have now updated our best selling booties list for 2019. Between the six boots mentioned below, every type of surfer can be satisfied. Whether you are looking for quality, comfort, warmth, durability, or affordability, Cleanline has your feet covered.
To boil it down even further, we’ve organized the list into 3 categories, overall popularity, performance, and value.
It’s important to note that these are just OUR best selling booties, and being located in the Northwest, these mostly pertain to our water temps. We offer an extensive and diverse selection of boots not mentioned on this list, which you can view here.
The Best All Around Booties ($50-$70)
O’Neill Heat 5mm Round Toe
The O’Neill Heat was our best selling bootie last year and continues to be a favorite among customers and employees alike. These boots are made with O’Neill’s Fluidflex Firewall neoprene for maximum flex, warmth, and comfort. This is the same neoprene you’ll find on some of their higher end suits and it feels amazing. These booties come equipped with seams that are both glued and blind-stitched externally and fully taped internally, leaving little to no room for water to enter.
Furthermore, these boots come with upper and lower Velcro straps as well as a pull tab on the heel for maximum secureness, and ease of entry. The sole is medium thickness with multi-directional grooves for decent board-feel and superior grip. This bootie is Cleanline’s owner/founder’s favorite boot of all time. In fact, Josh loves these boots so much, he entrusted it to make up the bulk of our rental fleet. If you are looking for the best all-around bootie that incorporates a little bit of everything, then this is the bootie for you.
Hotline 5mm Reflex Split Toe
The Hotline Reflex 5mm Split Toe booties are my favorite bootie of all time and a local favorite here in the Pacific Northwest. These boots come with an internal split-toe design meaning the big toe is not detached from the rest of the boot and you won’t have to worry about your leash getting caught between your toes (one of the qualms with external split-toe designs.)
The thick, reinforced rubber soles are perfect for walking along the rocky coastlines of the Pacific Northwest, or if you have to hike into a secret spot. The boots come equipped with both an upper and lower Velcro strap for minimum water entry and extra secureness. If durability and comfort are important to you then look no further than the Hotline Reflex. If “board feel” is a major factor for you, or you are used to surfing without booties then maybe look for a bootie with a thinner sole.
- For those who run cold or are surfing truly frigid waters, these boots also come in 7mm thickness. For those in milder conditions, these are also available in a 3mm boot.
The Best Performance Booties ($70-$90)
Rip Curl Flash Bomb 5mm Split Toe
If performance and board feel are important to you then look no further than the Rip Curl Flash Bomb booties. These booties are made from the same E5 neoprene and taping that comes stock in all of Rip Curl’s high-end wetsuits. You can expect maximum flex and comfort accompanied by minimum dry time due to the polypropylene Flash lining on the inside.
Furthermore, there is anti-microbial technology embedded in the fabric that kills odor-causing bacteria. These booties come equipped with Rip Curl’s Low Profile Super Soft Sole which is the thinnest sole out of any bootie on this list and has strategic sole cutaways for maximum grip and board feel.
Finally, the boot is taped on all major stress points to ensure no water seeps through and cuts your session short. These are the perfect booties for someone who is transitioning to cold water surfing from a warmer climate where they are not used to wearing boots.
Patagonia Yulex R4 Round Toe
As with all things Patagonia, these booties are the epitome of quality manufacturing. Patagonia took zero shortcuts in producing these cozy, cold water boots. The R4 round-toe booties come lined with a mixture of recycled polyester and spandex making these boots warm, comfortable, and surprisingly flexible.
All external seams are triple glued and blind-stitched, while 100% of the seams internally are taped ensuring no excess water will penetrate the exterior. The R4 booties have a unique Z-strap closure system which conforms to the user’s foot and guarantees a snug fit. These boots come equipped with Patagonia’s lifetime Iron-Clad guarantee. If the boot malfunctions, Patagonia will repair or replace them at no cost to you well past the regular warranty timeline of most other companies. If you’re looking for booties with superior craftsmanship that will keep your feet warm hours into your session then these Patagonia boots are for you.
The Best Affordable Booties ($40-$50)
Quiksilver Syncro 5mm Round Toe
If you are looking for an affordable boot that incorporates many of the desired features of a high-end boot then look no further than the Quiksilver Syncro. This boot is comprised of flexible Freemax neoprene and all the seams are glued and blind stitched. The sole is a nice medium thickness for good board feel without sacrificing protection. Quiksilver introduced a heel reinforcement system to prevent any rip or tears from occurring upon pulling these on. This boot has an instep velcro strap to keep the boot secure and tight. You won’t find a boot with as many features as the Syncro for under $50.
- Also available in a 7mm version
Billabong Furnace Absolute 5mm Split Toe
The final bootie I will be reviewing is the Billabong Furnace Absolute 5mm split-toe. If you are looking for a price-point bootie that has everything you need without all the fancy bells and whistles, then this is the boot for you. These boots come equipped with a pressure-bonded fluid seam weld on the external seams for minimal water entry.
The flexible Vulcanized Sole coupled with a compression arch support assures unmatched comfort for the price. The performance split-toe design gives your foot a wider range of motion and improved balance. These boots come with a durable heel-tab, making getting these puppies on and off a breeze. The thin, durable and textured sole gives you a barefoot feel that may make you forget you are even wearing booties. The Billabong Furnace Absolute 5mm split-toe does not come with any Velcro tightening straps. I recommend spending an extra $7 for some Bootie Keepers which essentially act as straps and keep the bootie snug and secure. Overall, these booties have everything you need and nothing you don’t. They’re a great value for $45!
- Looking for a round toe? Billabong makes this same boot in a 5mm Round Toe design
What’s the Difference Between Round Toe and Split Toe Booties?
- Split-toe boots have a divider (whether internally or externally) that separates your big toe from the rest of your toes. Surfers in favor of the Split Toe design claim that it helps to give them better board feel and better prevents the toes from moving around in the boot
- Round-Toe boots are essentially just neoprene shoes with no divider keeping all your toes together. Some surfers find these boots to be more comfortable and like that all their toes are together.
There are arguments on both sides that would support one particular style over the other. However, it really comes down to personal preference. Whichever style feels more comfortable to the individual is the bootie that that individual should go with.
How Do You Size Booties?
- 95% of boots are only advertised in men’s sizes and only available in full sizes, not half sizes. Ideally, your booties will fit snug like a sock. So if you typically wear a size 10.5 shoe then I would recommend buying a size 10. They may be tight at first but you can expect them to stretch a bit after a few uses. A good rule of thumb is that if your toes touch the end of the bootie when you first try them on, then they will be perfect after a few uses. If your toes are in any way curled, then go for the next size up.
- For the ladies, unless it’s noted as a women’s boot, or is a women’s brand such as Roxy, then know the size of the booties is in men’s sizing. When you check the size chart, you will need to drop one or two sizes from your regular shoe size.
- Surf booties vary in cut from manufacturer to manufacturer. If you do not know your size, give us a call at 1-888-546-6176 or email us at email@example.com and we’ll help you choose the best surf bootie.
That’s About It…
And there you have it the 5 best-selling booties for cold water surfing. We have boots that suit everybody’s preference and budget. Whether you’re looking for warmth, durability, or performance, Cleanline has you covered. Don’t forget to check out our full selection of booties on our website. We have a far more expansive selection than the 6 booties named here. These are just the most popular. Hopefully, this helps make picking the right bootie a little more manageable. As always, we’ll see you in the water!
Latest posts by Spencer Lappi (see all)
- O’Neill Psycho Tech Review for 2019 - 19 November, 2019
- Top Picks: 4 Quality & Affordable Wetsuits Under $270 - 1 November, 2019
- The 6 Best Selling Surf Booties For 2019 - 24 May, 2019