The 2013/2014 Patagonia R4 Hooded Chest Zip Wetsuit is the second installment of the warmest wetsuit on planet earth. With high-quality neoprene and a merino wool lining, the R4® Front-Zip Hooded Full Suit offers excellent comfort and flexibility with a contoured 3-panel hood with an adjustable cord to seal in the heat. Features include anatomical patterning, 100% external seam sealing to eliminate leaks, a heavyweight wool lining in the torso and thighs for warmth, and a lighter weight(orange) lining in the hood, sleeves and legs for increased performance and stretch. With simplified entry and enlarged PVC-free kneepads for long-lasting durability. Critical seams and high-stress areas are secured and reinforced for strength.
Neoprene: Patagonia Hand Selected Highest Quality Neoprene
Seams: Fully Sealed Externally and Taped and Critically Taped Internally
Zipper: Patagonia Front Zip (Chest Zip) Technology
Model Year: 2013/2014
Manufactures Part Number: 88036
- Made with high-quality neoprene that meets our rigorous standards for strength, durability and warmth; grid lining: torso/thighs lined with original, heavyweight chlorine-free merino wool and recycled polyester; sleeves/legs and hood/external gasket lined with midweight chlorine-free merino wool and polyester
- Warm and soft merino wool dries quickly and reduces odor for the garment.
- One-piece front and back panels; internal/external neck gaskets (1.5mm neoprene with a polyester jersey surface and center-front key pocket at the base); overlapped front yoke for easy on/off
- Hood: neoprene 3-panel construction conforms to head for a comfortable fit and easy on/off, adjustable cord provides snug fit around face, Supratex brim shields face from sun and sheds water
- Neoprene underarm panels have nylon jersey fabric on both sides for better stretch while paddling; durable recycled polyester jersey fabric on the outside of seat and legs; anatomically engineered PVC-free kneepads; wrist/ankle cuffs are made with flexible, durable Supratex material; which helps reduce flushing
- 1cm bartacks, glue dots and Melco® reinforcements secure all high stress areas and critical seam locations
- 100% external seam sealing; seams are single-needle blindstitched on the outside with nylon bonded thread, and triple glued for extra durability and strength; critical areas and crotch seams are internally taped
- 4.5mm neoprene (torso/thighs) lined with original, heavyweight chlorine-free merino wool and recycled polyester; 3.5mm neoprene (sleeves/legs) and 2.5mm neoprene (hood/external gasket) lined with midweight chlorine-free merino wool and polyester
- 2021 g (71.3 oz)
- Made in Thailand.
- Patagonia R4 Hooded Chest Zip Wetsuit - 2013/2014 Sizing and Fit IssuesReview by Unknown Unknown
RatingI will 2nd the other reviewer who talks about the hood leaking/fit issues. According to Patagonia's own wetsuit sizing chart I was dead on for an xls, tried it on and was concerned about the hood and extra rolls of rubber in the legs and armpits but thought it would be ok. Nope. Totally useless and I'm lucky I took it out in the spring when the water was a bit warmer as I would have died when the suit flooded and hood filled up with water then fell over my eyes. Patagonia took it back after I pled my case but the fit is totally screwed up with these suits and I'll be going elsewhere for my next winter suit because I've never had fit issues with any other brands.(Posted on 7/14/2014) 2014-07-14
- Patagonia R4 Hooded Chest Zip Wetsuit - 2013/2014 No useReview by Unknown Unknown
RatingI bought one this year (2014) the fit was terrible, the hood filled with water on every duck dive, the front zip version design is very outdated,open on both sides and it leaks like hell. I sent it back for a replacement, they said there are issues with he hood sizing because of a manufacturer fault. They sent another, same deal, leaked like hell. Ive been surfing 20 years, had loads of suits without fit issues. Patagucci says, 'if the suits not right for you we will give your money back' its not right for me or anyone my size! (bang on size L). Bought a flash bomb,fitted perfectly, saved a load of dough, happy now:) Beware of this issue, Patagonia are, but their doing nothing about it.(Posted on 5/7/2014) 2014-05-07
- Patagonia R4 Hooded Chest Zip Wetsuit - 2013/2014 Great investmentReview by Tom Tom
RatingI was a little hesitant about the R4 because it said only 4.5mm and I use it for kiteboarding in the North east. It gets cold here! The R4 is built so well that, if used for kiteboarding and not spent huge amount of time in the water, but occasional wipeout and body dragging my wetsuit is still dry on the inside after 1.5-2 hrs of kiting. Accompanied by good pair of gloves and booties it is not a problem staying on 32F water and 32F Air for a good session. Almost semi-dry in my opinion. It's worth the extra money.(Posted on 3/5/2014) 2014-03-05
- Patagonia R4 Hooded Chest Zip Wetsuit - 2013/2014 Warm, flexible, and will outlast any other suit out there.Review by Matt - Cleanline Employee Matt - Cleanline Employee
RatingThe fall 2013 Patagonia R4 is a huge upgrade. Much more flexible, and lightweight, and still just as durable. For those that are familiar with the previous R4 you will notice the new R4's max thickness is 4.5mm compared to the 5mm of last years so I can't say this suit is as warm as it used to be.(Posted on 11/5/2013) 2013-11-05
That isn't to say it is not extremely warm though. Merino wool adds about a millimeter of neoprene warmth to these suits, making this suit as warm as a 5.5mm suit.
Another upgrade I noticed was the hood this year. It is extremely comfortable and does a great job at keeping water out, while giving you a free range of motion.
Overall I would say this suit more than satisfies my wetsuit needs, and though it may seem pricey, the fact that it will last longer will make it worth it.
- Patagonia R4 Hooded Chest Zip Wetsuit - 2013/2014 Its like peeing in your wetsuit, ALL the timeReview by Brad white Brad white
RatingI picked this up at the Cannon Beach Cleanline a few weeks back and have used it a few times since.(Posted on 9/24/2013) 2013-09-24
I usually wear a MT but for the R4 I had to go to a LT I couldn't get the Medium to fit over my shoulders... I am over all very happy with its warmth and flexibility.
Write Your Own Review
The staff at Cleanline Surf specialize in sizing Patagonia wetsuits. If you have never worn a Patagonia wetsuit before we storngly urge you to call us for experty advice on sizing. If you have worn one in the past be aware that the sizing has changed slightly and you may want to lean towards a smaller suit due to the increased flexibility. We do have a size chart available below, but please take it with a grain of salt. For the perfect fit the first time please call and speak with one of our wetsuit experts.
Full Patagonia Wetsuit Sizing Chart
PatagonIa Ironclad guarantee
We stand behind everything we make, including our wetsuits. But wetsuits require care if they are going to perform and wear the way they were intended. Patagonia is not responsible for wetsuits that are abused or show normal wear and tear over time. Scratches and fading are inevitable, as are tears from the occasional close call with a fin.
Wetsuit Care Guideline:
- Rinse your wetsuit with fresh water after every use.
- After rinsing, fold in half at waist and hang dry.
- Do not store it wet, or in direct sunlight.
- Suit up carefully. We've selected high-stretch materials for their comfort and function. Avoid overstretching fabric and seams. Do not step on one leg to pull the other leg out.
- If possible, change in a plastic tub or on a mat
Our wetsuit warranty does not cover upgrading your older Patagonia wetsuit to a current model. We are continuously improving our designs and materials, but that doesn't make your existing wetsuit unsatisfactory. It just means that the next one you buy will be even better than the last.
If you are not 100% satisfied with your purchase you may return it for a full refund, or exchange within 30 days of receiving your order.