Striving to make wetsuits that are better for the planet, the Patagonia R3 Yulex/Nexkin Wetsuit offers a responsible, high-performance cool-water wetsuit choice while maintaining Patagonia’s rigorous standards for warmth, durability and flex. From seed to suit, the R3 Yulex/Nexkin Front-Zip Full Suit is made from revolutionary plant-based Yulex biorubber. The renewable, hypoallergenic Yulex natural rubber is paired with traditional neoprene in a 60%/40% (Yulex/neoprene) blend; the Nexkin windproof coating reduces evaporative cooling and has an embedded microdenier fabric that makes it much more durable than traditional smooth-skin neoprene.
The torso and thighs are lined with a hydrophobic micro-grid recycled polyester (67%) thermal lining that holds heat close to your body and won’t absorb water; the arms, legs and collar are lined with high-stretch 100% recycled polyester for maximum comfort and freedom of movement. A floating front-zip keeps you loose through the shoulders and chest, and 100% exterior seam sealing eliminates leaks. All seams are triple glued, blindstitched and internally taped for additional strength.
The Yulex wetsuit challenges the industry standard and is making surfers rethink their responsibility to the earth. Neoprene as we know it is a material with a need for improvements to lessen its environment impact. When Patagonia met with the folks from Yulex, thus began a collaborative long-term project to develop a wetsuit material from guayule rubber. Leveraging the unique properties of the guayule plant, a hearty desert shrub native to the southwestern United States, guayule rubber is a renewable resource that provides improved elasticity and softness and can be replaced faster than the product wears out. The agriculture is low-impact and the extraction and processing uses little energy and few chemicals. Overall, from the crops to the rubber manufacturing, Yulex guayule rubber has a lower environmental impact than the polychloroprene that it replaces. Quite possibly the future of wetsuits.
Neoprene: Yulex Biorubber
Seams: 100% External Seam Seals
Zipper: Chest Zip
Model Year: 2015/2016
Manufactures Part Number: 88074
- 60% Yulex/40% neoprene: torso/thighs, 3.5mm lined with 67% recycled polyester/28% polyester/5% spandex micro grid; arm/legs, 2.5mm lined with high-stretch 100% recycled polyester jersey. Exterior face: 88% recycled polyester/12% spandex. Outer torso (except shoulders) treated with a Nexkin windproof coating
- Revolutionary Yulex rubber meets our rigorous standards for strength, durability, warmth and sustainability. It’s also hypoallergenic (latex-free)
- Nexkin windproof rubber coating reduces evaporative cooling and is more durable than traditional smooth-skin neoprene
- 100% external seam sealing; all seams are triple glued, blindstitched and internally taped on high-stress areas
- Torso/thighs have a hydrophobic micro-grid recycled polyester (67%) thermal lining
- Outer collar, arms and lower legs are lined with water-resistant recycled polyester (88%); inside lined with high-stretch recycled polyester
- Detachable front-zip entry for easy on/off and maximum performance
- Anatomically engineered Supratex kneepads
- Key loop inside front-zip chest panel
- For warm to cool water ranging from 48°- 55° F (9°- 13° C)
- 1792 g (63.2 oz)
- Made in Thailand
Write Your Own Review
PatagonIa Ironclad guarantee
We stand behind everything we make, including our wetsuits. But wetsuits require care if they are going to perform and wear the way they were intended. Patagonia is not responsible for wetsuits that are abused or show normal wear and tear over time. Scratches and fading are inevitable, as are tears from the occasional close call with a fin.
Wetsuit Care Guideline:
- Rinse your wetsuit with fresh water after every use.
- After rinsing, fold in half at waist and hang dry.
- Do not store it wet, or in direct sunlight.
- Suit up carefully. We've selected high-stretch materials for their comfort and function. Avoid overstretching fabric and seams. Do not step on one leg to pull the other leg out.
- If possible, change in a plastic tub or on a mat
Our wetsuit warranty does not cover upgrading your older Patagonia wetsuit to a current model. We are continuously improving our designs and materials, but that doesn't make your existing wetsuit unsatisfactory. It just means that the next one you buy will be even better than the last.
Returns are easy! We understand that in some situations returns or exchanges may be necessary. We also want you to be stoked on your purchase. If you are not 100% satisfied with your purchase you may return it for a full refund, or exchange within 30 days of receiving your order. Items must be in new condition with original tags and packaging.
Please make sure your wetsuit fits before taking it in the water. We are not able to take returns or exchanges on used wetsuits.
Click here for our full Return Policy