"I've worn Patagonia's R3 Wetsuit in the water for the past winter in Oregon and I have to say I am stoked! It has completely replaced my R4 from Fall 2013 and is even more flexible. If you wore the Fall 2013 R4 and want the same warmth in a suit this year, then the R3 is the suit for you (they are the same thickness). For the people who had issues with the fit of the previous model, I can say that the fit now is much much better. I'm 5'11 and 158 lbs and the size M fits great. Mostly I've been in water temps around 53 degrees but could easily see this keeping you warm in the mid to high 40's. It is still a bit tricky to get on and off, but all hooded chest zip suits are. With the drop in price and the added poly lining, plus the internal taping, I think it's safe to say this is the best Patagonia suit yet!"
The Patagonia R3 Hooded Chest Zip Wetsuit continues to follow up the thicker R4 as one of the warmest wetsuits in coldwater surfing. The Hooded R3 Wetsuit is the perfect wetsuit for surfing the chilly waters of the Northwest in comfort. Made with anatomical patterning and high-quality neoprene that meets Patagonia's rigorous standards for stretch and durability, the redesigned R3 Hooded Full Suit offers essential winter warmth—even through half an hour of sets on the head.
The torso and thighs are lined with midweight chlorine-free merino wool; hydrophobic recycled polyester micro-grid thermal lining in the arms, legs and hood dries fast, minimizes weight and offers excellent flex. The floating front-zip provides ease of entry and maximizes freedom of movement through the shoulders and chest. 100% external seam sealing eliminates leaks. Other features include a durable, water-resistant recycled polyester outer lining, hidden key loop and long-lasting Supratex kneepads. All seams are triple glued, blindstitched and internally taped at high stress areas.
Neoprene: Patagonia Hand Selected Highest Quality Neoprene
Seams: 100% External Seam Sealing and Internal Taping on all Critical Areas
Zipper: Patagonia Front Zip (Chest Zip) Technology
Model Year: 2015/2016
Manufactures Part Number: 88420
- Made with high-quality 4.5mm neoprene (torso/thighs) lined with midweight chlorine-free merino wool; 3.5mm (arms/legs/hood) lined with hydrophobic micro-grid recycled polyester
- Torso/thighs lined with midweight chlorine-free merino wool
- Hydrophobic micro-grid recycled polyester thermal lining in arms, legs and hood improves flexibility and dry time
- 100% external seam sealing; all seams are triple glued, blindstitched and internally taped on high stress areas
- Outer lining is durable, water-resistant recycled polyester jersey
- Detachable front-zip entry for maximum performance and ease of entry
- Anatomically engineered Supratex kneepads; key loop
- For cold to very cold water ranging from 48°- 55° F (8°- 12° C)
- 1672 g (59 oz)
- Made in Thailand
- Patagonia R3 Hooded Chest Zip Wetsuit worth itReview by Z Z
RatingBeen wanting a Patagonia suit for a long time since a lot of my buddies swear by them. It is definitely lighter and more flexible while still being the warmest suit I've surfed. Yes it is expensive but it has been worth it for me. Thanks to Cleanline for helping me nail the fit.(Posted on 5/31/2016) 2016-05-31
- Patagonia R3 Hooded Chest Zip Wetsuit Great suit, best I've worn!Review by Cascadia SurfRider Cascadia SurfRider
RatingThis suit is great. From the warmth to flexibility and especially the eco friendly material used in it. I've worn many suits and this one is the best. Only gave if 4 stars as the price is expensive. If you got the cash to buy it then I highly recommend it. Just want to give Matt a big shout out for helping out with an exchange. Top notch service and thats why Cleanline is the best!(Posted on 10/12/2015) 2015-10-12
- Patagonia R3 Hooded Chest Zip Wetsuit justy okay for warmth, excellent flexibilityReview by vanisle surf vanisle surf
RatingI bought this suit hoping that it would be better then my my Rip Curl E-bomb. Not the case. Is much more flexible but is colder and flushes on ankles and wrists much more then the e-bomb. The e-bomb is a cheaper of rip curl suits but will go back when this one runs out of life. Good job on the quality materials used anf flexibility but I recommend it is not worth the money.(Posted on 9/12/2015) 2015-09-12
- Patagonia R3 Hooded Chest Zip Wetsuit Worth every pennyReview by ayup01 ayup01
RatingNot the cheapest suit but worth every penny. Had 6 days in the water now - Oregon and BC - and it's so far proved a great buy. Super high quality, flexible and a really good fit. Purchased it at the Cleanline Seaside store. Josh was a great help, threw in a comp shop t-shirt.... cheers.(Posted on 6/21/2015) 2015-06-21
- Patagonia R3 Hooded Chest Zip Wetsuit Great buyReview by Luke Luke
RatingThis is a great suit, I live in the mid Atlantic and surf MD and DE normally this suit kept me warm in 40 degree waters and its flexible. This is a great suit, Patagonia knocked another one outta the park with this suit.(Posted on 5/6/2015) 2015-05-06
- Patagonia R3 Hooded Chest Zip Wetsuit Great suit. Very FlexibleReview by Jonny 5 Zero Jonny 5 Zero
RatingI am from Hawaii and bought this suit for a trip up to Canada. I used it 4 or 5 times up there. I will also use it in Chile this coming November.(Posted on 4/28/2015) 2015-04-28
First, the suit is very flexible, fit well, and has high quality craftsmanship. It kept me warm through all of my sessions. It did a great job of insulation. I was even warm a few times after a lot of paddling. The water temperature was around 8C (47F). Some of the sunnier days I took off the hood and was still warm.
There wasn't much wind to contend with so i can't make a comment as to wind protection.
Overall, great flexible suit with high quality materials that fits well. Cleanline staff were also incredibly helpful in the entire process from helping select a suit, to sizing, to shipping. Thank you!
- Patagonia R3 Hooded Chest Zip Wetsuit Great high quality suitReview by Brian Brian
RatingI've surfed this suit over a dozen times now and can say its the best fitting suit I've owned. This suit finds a great balance between durability and flexibility. I've surfed more flexible suits in the past but they start to fall apart after a year surfing. I highly recommend this suit to buyers who expect to get multiple years out of there purchase.(Posted on 3/3/2015) 2015-03-03
- Patagonia R3 Hooded Chest Zip Wetsuit Sweet. Even warmer than advertisedReview by Chris Chris
RatingWe surf the mid-Atlantic and I bought this suit to, hopefully, get through the winter. Used it today in 42 dF water and was super toasty (though it was 40s and sunny out). Very comfortable:. Fits great, moves great. Very happy with it so far.(Posted on 1/26/2015) 2015-01-26
- Patagonia R3 Hooded Chest Zip Wetsuit great suitReview by Matt Matt
RatingI have used the suit just three times and am very impressed. I bought this suit to be my early winter suit, to use before the 6/5 becomes necessary. (I live and surf in the midwest on lake Michigan). It fits the bill. I love how durable it seems to be made, taped seams in and out... It is thick, but is flexible. Overall I'm psyched on the purchase.(Posted on 11/26/2014) 2014-11-26
Write Your Own Review
The staff at Cleanline Surf specialize in sizing Patagonia wetsuits. If you have never worn a Patagonia wetsuit before we strongly urge you to call us for expert advice on sizing. If you have worn one in the past be aware that the sizing has changed slightly and you may want to lean towards a smaller suit due to the increased flexibility. We do have a size chart available below, but please take it with a grain of salt. For the perfect fit the first time please call and speak with one of our wetsuit experts.
Full Patagonia Wetsuit Sizing Chart
PatagonIa Ironclad guarantee
We stand behind everything we make, including our wetsuits. But wetsuits require care if they are going to perform and wear the way they were intended. Patagonia is not responsible for wetsuits that are abused or show normal wear and tear over time. Scratches and fading are inevitable, as are tears from the occasional close call with a fin.
Wetsuit Care Guideline:
- Rinse your wetsuit with fresh water after every use.
- After rinsing, fold in half at waist and hang dry.
- Do not store it wet, or in direct sunlight.
- Suit up carefully. We've selected high-stretch materials for their comfort and function. Avoid overstretching fabric and seams. Do not step on one leg to pull the other leg out.
- If possible, change in a plastic tub or on a mat
Our wetsuit warranty does not cover upgrading your older Patagonia wetsuit to a current model. We are continuously improving our designs and materials, but that doesn't make your existing wetsuit unsatisfactory. It just means that the next one you buy will be even better than the last.
Returns are easy! We understand that in some situations returns or exchanges may be necessary. We also want you to be stoked on your purchase. If you are not 100% satisfied with your purchase you may return it for a full refund, or exchange within 30 days of receiving your order. Items must be in new condition with original tags and packaging.
Please make sure your wetsuit fits before taking it in the water. We are not able to take returns or exchanges on used wetsuits.
Click here for our full Return Policy