The Patagonia R3 Hooded Chest Zip Wetsuit is a versatile hooded wetsuit upgraded for a new season. With high-quality neoprene and a merino wool lining, the R3® Front-Zip Hooded Full Suit offers excellent comfort and flexibility with a contoured 3-panel hood with an adjustable cord to seal in the heat. Features include anatomical patterning, 100% external seam sealing to eliminate leaks, a heavyweight wool lining in the torso and thighs for warmth, and a lighter weight(orange) lining in the hood, sleeves and legs for increased performance and stretch. With simplified entry and enlarged PVC-free kneepads for long-lasting durability. Critical seams and high-stress areas are secured and reinforced for strength.
Neoprene: Patagonia Hand Selected Highest Quality Neoprene
Seams: Fully Sealed Externally and Taped and Critically Taped Internally
Zipper: Patagonia Front Zip (Chest Zip) Technology
Model Year: 2014
Manufactures Part Number: 88006
- Made with high-quality neoprene that meets our rigorous standards for strength, durability and warmth
- Grid lining: torso/thighs lined with original, heavyweight chlorine-free merino wool and recycled polyester; hood/external gasket/sleeves/legs lined with midweight chlorine-free merino wool and polyester
- Warm and soft merino wool dries quickly and reduces odor for the garment.
- One-piece front and back panels; internal/external neck gaskets (1.5mm neoprene with a polyester jersey surface and center-front key pocket); overlapped front yoke for easy on/off
- Hood: neoprene 3-panel construction conforms to head for a comfortable fit and easy on/off, adjustable cord provides snug fit around face, Supratex brim shields face from sun and sheds water
- Neoprene underarm panels have nylon jersey fabric on both sides for better stretch while paddling; durable recycled polyester fabric on the outside of the seat and legs; anatomically engineered PVC-free kneepads; wrist/ankle cuffs are made with flexible, durable Supratex material, which helps reduce flushing
- 1cm bartacks, glue dots and Melco® reinforcements secure all high stress areas and critical seam locations; 100% external seam sealing; seams are single-needle blindstitched on the outside with nylon bonded thread, and triple glued for extra durability and strength; critical areas and crotch seams are internally taped
- 3.5mm neoprene (torso/thighs) lined with original, heavyweight chlorine-free merino wool and recycled polyester; 2.5mm neoprene (hood/external gasket/sleeves/legs) lined with midweight chlorine-free merino wool and polyester
- 1588 g (56 oz)
- Made in Thailand.
- Patagonia R3 Hooded Chest Zip Wetsuit - 2014 Perfect early winter and late spring wetsuit for New EnglandReview by DavidNorthEast DavidNorthEast
RatingThis is my second purchase of quality wetsuit from Cleanline. I bought the Patagonia R3 for use in NH and Boston, particularly for late Oct-Jan and mid-March-April months. It is a little thin for extreme frigid weather in between mid-Jan and February (during which I tend to prefer thicker 6-5 wetsuit), but this is perfect for early winter and early spring. It is well made and light, and replaces the need for a 5-4 and 4-3.(Posted on 9/22/2014) 2014-09-22
- Patagonia R3 Hooded Chest Zip Wetsuit - 2014 Definitely Lighter and More FlexibleReview by Josh - Owner of Cleanline Surf Josh - Owner of Cleanline Surf
RatingWell, I finally broke down and got myself a new Patagonia R3 Hooded Wetsuit (the new Fall 2013 model), even though my old R3 was still in perfect condition. My old suit has been with me for 2 years and has seen at least 150 (or more) sessions, and I just couldn’t wait any longer for it to wear out before I snagged myself one of the new models. I found a few differences that I thought worthy of talking, telling, and reviewing.(Posted on 10/26/2013) 2013-10-26
The new suit seemed to fit slightly larger than my old suit, but it is definitely lighter and quite a bit more flexible. The new fluid seam welding makes the suit more watertight. The hood and neck seemed to be less restrictive and quite a bit more “relaxed”. I also really like the new zipper (much easier to engage) and the new zipper stop tab was also an improvement. The only “negative”, if you will, was that I don’t think the new model is quite as warm as the original. In my experiences, it’s always been a trade-off, lighter generally equals more flexibility, but not more warmth.
All in all I was REALLY stoked with my new suit. (All my bro’s in the lineup were asking questions…) Now I use my old R3 for those truly “cold” conditions (air temp 45-55 and water temp 44-50). Ill use my new model for those, what I call , “tropical” days (air temp 50-60 and water temps 50-60).
I hope my experience and opinions will help you to make good decisions for your Patagonia wetsuit purchases. Please feel free to call me if you ever have ANY questions on sizing or about Patagonia Wetsuits in general.
P.S. I still own the original Patagonia R4 for the severely bitter cold winter days of the Pacific Northwest. (when the dry sand is frozen SOLID!!!)
Write Your Own Review
The staff at Cleanline Surf specialize in sizing Patagonia wetsuits. If you have never worn a Patagonia wetsuit before we strongly urge you to call us for expert advice on sizing. If you have worn one in the past be aware that the sizing has changed slightly and you may want to lean towards a smaller suit due to the increased flexibility. We do have a size chart available below, but please take it with a grain of salt. For the perfect fit the first time please call and speak with one of our wetsuit experts.
Full Patagonia Wetsuit Sizing Chart
PatagonIa Ironclad guarantee
We stand behind everything we make, including our wetsuits. But wetsuits require care if they are going to perform and wear the way they were intended. Patagonia is not responsible for wetsuits that are abused or show normal wear and tear over time. Scratches and fading are inevitable, as are tears from the occasional close call with a fin.
Wetsuit Care Guideline:
- Rinse your wetsuit with fresh water after every use.
- After rinsing, fold in half at waist and hang dry.
- Do not store it wet, or in direct sunlight.
- Suit up carefully. We've selected high-stretch materials for their comfort and function. Avoid overstretching fabric and seams. Do not step on one leg to pull the other leg out.
- If possible, change in a plastic tub or on a mat
Our wetsuit warranty does not cover upgrading your older Patagonia wetsuit to a current model. We are continuously improving our designs and materials, but that doesn't make your existing wetsuit unsatisfactory. It just means that the next one you buy will be even better than the last.
Returns are easy! We understand that in some situations returns or exchanges may be necessary. We also want you to be stoked on your purchase. If you are not 100% satisfied with your purchase you may return it for a full refund, or exchange within 30 days of receiving your order. Items must be in new condition with original tags and packaging.
Click here for our full Return Policy